[Pythonmac-SIG] ANN: Python Metadata Importer

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Thu May 19 19:58:22 CEST 2005

On May 19, 2005, at 1:51 PM, Jonathan Wight wrote:

> On May 19, 2005, at 13:48, Bob Ippolito wrote:

>>> Why GPL?
>>>

>> Probably because he wants someone else to re-implement it :)
>>

> Um no. I wouldn't have gone through the bother or writing it,
> testing it and then releasing it if I wanted someone else to re-
> implement it.
>
> I'm moving all my free source code i write over to the GPL.

If you open your eyes and look around you'll see that most Python
stuff is released under more liberal licenses (MIT, BSD, PSF and the
occasional LGPL typically for wrappers over LGPL libraries).  GPL is
only really appropriate for applications, and even then it's
questionable.

You're distributing code that would likely be used as a template for
other importers, yet you're forcing everyone to adopt the GPL or
negotiate an alternate license.  In most contexts, that makes the
code pretty useless, unless people are writing imports for themselves
or for other GPL software.