[Pythonmac-SIG] Spotlight and Python

Jonathan Wight jwight_lists at toxicsoftware.com
Tue May 10 18:01:03 CEST 2005

It's certainly a good idea.

Writing a Spotlight plug-in is extremely straight forward - just fire
up Xcode 2 and create a new "Metadata Importer" project. You just
have one function that you need to provide:

Boolean GetMetadataForFile(void* thisInterface,
                CFMutableDictionaryRef attributes,
                CFStringRef contentTypeUTI,
                CFStringRef pathToFile)

Don't forget to modify the Info.plist and possibly the schema.xml file.

Also - you'll probably need to create an installer for the importer
so that when installed it forces a reindex, see: http://www.apple.com/
downloads/macosx/submit/installers.html

Now I believe that Spotlight is smart enough to detect when a file is
created/written that needs importing so you wont have to manually
force any re-indexing yourself.

I'm currently writing a spotlight importers for the GPX xml file
format and for another inhouse project of mine.

     Jon.