[Pythonmac-SIG] building non-Framework Python 2.4.1 on Tiger

David Reed dreedmac at columbus.rr.com
Thu May 5 01:55:44 CEST 2005

On May 4, 2005, at 7:30 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> As far as friends scaring you off.. I dunno, maybe they didn't know
> what they were doing when they tried it, or they were bitten by some
> problem that has been solved long since.  The only "incompatibility"
> with framework builds is that stupid extensions that don't use
> distutils in their build procedure aren't going to work out of the
> box, but they're probably not going to work out of the box anyway
> because Mac OS X's linker takes different options.
>
> -bob

On a slightly related note, can I add third-party python modules to
the framework using the standard Unix install process. For example,
I'm using to installing Python modules on Linux using:
python setup.py install
or occasionally ./configure;make;make install

I've installed your python2.4.1 on Tiger and the fix (just yesterday
so I think I got the updated fix).

I've installed a number of the packages your or someone else already
built (Numeric, PyOpenGL, etc.), but what do I do if I want a module
someone hasn't built.

Dave