[Pythonmac-SIG] Python 2.3+Py23Compat/Python 2.4 compatibility problem

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Wed May 4 22:50:06 CEST 2005

Bob wrote:

>>Probably one for Bob, but there's an unpleasant disagreement between Py23Compat and Python 2.4 [which] means scripts written on Python 2.3 break on 2.4 and vice-versa when importing any of these modules. What's the fix?
>
>This is not a bug,

Maybe not, but it's hardly good design either. Any time I wish for gratuitous complexity or broken-by-design-ness I can easily use Perl or AppleScript instead. :p

>try:
>    from LaunchServices import Launch, LaunchServices
>except ImportError:
>    from Carbon import Launch, LaunchServices

I figured that, but I'd rather hoped a more elegant solution might be forthcoming at source. Is there a good reason why they couldn't both agree on a common location, or at least provide the relevant aliases in 2.4 to preserve Python's much-vaunted backwards compatibility?

Cheers,

has
--
http://freespace.virgin.net/hamish.sanderson/