[Pythonmac-SIG] PyOXIDE wishes?

konrad.hinsen@laposte.net konrad.hinsen at laposte.net
Wed May 4 14:28:04 CEST 2005

On May 4, 2005, at 13:17, Scott Lawton wrote:

> - given the wide variety of free IDEs, perhaps its time for a paid one
> to enter the mix?  Presumably that would allow more features in less
> time.  For example,

There is one good commercial IDE for Python, WingIDE. I use it (on a
free open-source license) and I like it a lot, especially the debugger.
But it's not a native Mac application (it uses Gtk and thus X11), which
for Mac purists might be a problem. It does a pretty good job however
in using Mac keyboard shortcuts, which for me is the essential
compatibility aspect.

> 	* tight integration with Text Wrangler (free) and BBEdit (paid); let
> them worry about syntax highlighting and otherwise making a cool (if
> imperfect) editor

Unless those editors have a generous scripting API, this sounds
impossible. You want to set breakpoints with a mouse click and have
them marked graphically in the editor, right? How many editors have
mechanisms that allow retrofitting such functionality? Other than
Emacs, I couldn't name any.

Konrad.
Konrad Hinsen
Laboratoire Léon Brillouin, CEA Saclay,