[Pythonmac-SIG] How can python incorporate GNU's readline library?

Frederick C. Lee fclee at highstream.net
Mon May 2 23:52:50 CEST 2005

Greetings:
     I've just installed Tiger (MacOSX 10.4).  My current Python
version is:

[/Users/Ric]python
Python 2.3.5 (#1, Mar 20 2005, 20:38:20)
[GCC 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1809)] on darwin

And I also have GNU's readline library via DarwinPorts:

[/Users/Ric]port installed
   docbook-xml 4.3_0 (active)
   readline 5.0.005_0 (active) <--------
   shapelib 1.2.10_0 (active)
   sqlite 2.8.15_0 (active)
   swig 1.3.24_0 (active)
[/Users/Ric]

But it appears that Python doesn't see the readline library.  Typing
a ctrl-P at the Python prompt doesn't do anything.

How do I make Python aware of GNU's readline library?

Thanks.

Regards,

Ric.