[Pythonmac-SIG] appscript and XXXX - what is my app instance returning?

Paul Berkowitz berkowit at silcom.com
Thu Mar 31 22:00:22 CEST 2005

On 3/31/05 10:50 AM, "has" <hengist.podd at virgin.net> wrote:

> All of which is a completely separate issue to learning how to
> effectively script individual applications, which is the problem the
> OP's having.

That's precisely the problem I was discussing, has. Sorry if that was not
clear.

> That has nothing to do with the language/bridge used,
> and everything to do with learning how an application's Apple Event
> Object Model works, what it can and can't do, where all the quirks
> and bugs lie, etc. Information that should be supplied by application
> developers, of course, but they often don't so users often have to
> rely on experimentation and shared knowledge to fill in the blanks.
>
> Personally I don't think the language difference should be too much
> of an issue when asking application-related questions, though we'll
> only find out for sure when appscripters start asking these questions
> on traditionally AppleScript-oriented lists such as MacScrpt. (As
> opposed to Python/appscript-related questions, which are still best
> asked here.)

I think it might be an issue. Python users who know appscript but not
AppleScript will tend to ask questions about application scripting in a way
that AppleScripters who don't know Python won't understand. So you
personally will probably end up having to check out every application's
AppleScript dictionary (which may not always be feasible for expensive
commercial apps, although some have demo periods and macscripter.net keeps a
collection of dictionaries) and maybe even check out sample AppleScripts.
(Somehow I don't see Shane Stanley answering too many appscript questions
about Quark.) That will keep you quite busy. If I, or other AppleScripters,
ever manage to get around to learning Python properly and then appscript, we
might be able to pitch in. But even the very limited documentation that
application creators provide for their AppleScript implementations will not
be extended to appscript, or even to raw AppleEvent documentation (I think
FMP may provide a bit of that.) It will mostly be up to you. Then you'll
know how Bob I. must feel on  this list...;-)

--
Paul Berkowitz