[Pythonmac-SIG] Having trouble installing Panther python packages

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Fri Mar 25 02:12:08 CET 2005

On Mar 24, 2005, at 6:14 PM, Martina Oefelein wrote:

>> Everytime I unzip the file and install the .mpkg file, I get the
>> following error:
>> "The InstallationCheck tool is either not exectutable or not
>> readable."
>
> did you use unzip to decompress the archive? Apparently unzip doesn't
> preserve "execute" rights. Try another decompressor. Stuffit Expander
> seems to work fine.

That was stated in the question.

What *particularly* bothers me is that he said it STILL COMPLAINS after
he *removed InstallationCheck* (I suggested this -- it is perfectly
valid to do, as it is only there to disallow <= 10.2 users from
attempting an install).  That is bizarre.

I think that one or more of the following is true, the latter being
more likely:
(a) Installer is completely insane
(b) Installer is doing the check with a receipt (which I definitely
don't think it's supposed to do)
(c) He didn't actually perform the manipulation he said he performed on
the mpkg AND all of the contained pkgs (I came to this conclusion just
now, after thinking harder)

Since the case is probably (c), this is how you would solve it from the
shell:

% find somepackage-version.mpkg -name InstallationCheck -exec chmod +x
{} \;

or alternatively, if you really like Python:

#!/usr/bin/env python
import os
for root, dirs, files in os.walk('somepackage-version.mpg'):
     for fn in files:
         if fn != 'InstallationCheck':
             continue
         fn = os.path.join(root, fn)
         mode = os.stat(fn).st_mode
         os.chmod(fn, mode | 0111)

Obviously, the shell version is a little shorter -- both were composed
in Mail and neither were tested, so.. good luck.