[Pythonmac-SIG] ANN: py2app 0.1.8

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Fri Mar 18 23:46:41 CET 2005

On Mar 18, 2005, at 17:37, Dave Opstad wrote:

>> ktrace/kdump is probably a good way to figure out what it wants.
>
> Yes, it was quite helpful -- I found the problem. TThe symbolic links
> within
> the framework (things like Resources -> Versions/Current/Resources)
> were all
> gone when I copied the application to another machine. The problem was
> used a non-Unix-aware server as an intermediary for the copy, which
> means
> all the symbolic links just vanished. Arrgggghh.
>
> Anyway, when I did a direct Mac-to-Mac transfer, the app worked fine.

And this is why Mac applications are distributed in disk images, sit
files, tarballs, or 10.3+-Finder-created-zip files...

Actually, I'm not totally sure I trust the 10.3+ zip files for
symlinks.  Disk images are the popular solution.  Some later version of
py2app will probably have an option for creating a dmg out of your
application.