[Pythonmac-SIG] GUI design tools

Troy Rollins troy.rollins at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 03:50:39 CET 2005

> I was refering to the landscape today, in comparison to the
> > other platforms.
>
> Maybe it wasn't you, but someone in the thread said something about
> Python on OS-X seeming to have been stuck at an 0.7 level for a long
> time. I just wanted to point out that it was, in fact, moving forward a
> lot, even if it's not where we want it to be.

Ooops. That was me. My point aimed more at the sort of tools I'm
looking for being stuck at 0.7, not Python itself. Though I'm really
not sure how much the Apple installed version of Python is benefitting
developers... especially new ones like me. The available resources on
the web are not really aimed at explaining Apple's somewhat
outside-the-norm installation.

> Anyway, I hope you don't give up, you might well be able to contribute
> to the effort.

Me too. Part of the issue is obviously based on my limited time to
learn and "get up to speed." I have several ongoing projects in other
languages and tools which want almost all of my time. An IDE, in the
early stages at least, can provide a faster ramp-up and a gentler
introduction. Later on, I find a powerful IDE makes me faster, and
more willing to experiment... don't ask me why, I don't know the
answer.

The good news is that WingIDE came out with another update today. On
the Mac, it is really quite good, even in X11. On a very fast machine,
with a good display card, it works very nicely. On a slower machine,
the interface gives the feel of an X11 (or "Javalike") app, for sure.
Kinda slow redraws, scrolled text creates vertical streaking until a
refresh ocurrs, stuff like that.

Still, Wing is quite well thought out, and functions really nicely.
They are bringing in some cool new features, including the ability to
script the IDE, etc.

One day, I do hope to contribute to the community. I've been keeping a
journal of my progress and process, which may evolve to some web
articles...

> But if you go to Linux, that's cool, I'm more of a Linux than OS-X
> advocate anyway.

We'll see. I'm quite happy on OSX generally, but Linux has some appeal
as well. At this point, Python is a given, the rest of it is up in the
air.  ;-)

--
Troy Rollins
RPSystems, Ltd.