[Pythonmac-SIG] GUI design tools

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed Mar 9 21:37:19 CET 2005

Mark Phillips <mark at mophilly.com> writes:

> This may be a perennial subject. If this is an oft-repeated request, I
> sincerely apologize for wasting bandwidth.

It's .. not entirely unfamiliar :)

> MacOS X as my primary machine, but historically I have supported old
> MacOS and Windows machines. This makes it hard for me to abandon the
> "cross-platform" mindset. I like tools that ease the creation and
> deployment of applications.

If you can lose that mindset, you will probably find pyobjc +
Interface Builder to be about as painless as it's going to get.

> The ideal solution for me would be a tool set that is similar to
> popular RAD tools such as 4D, Omnis Studio and the like. Using these
> have spoiled me rotten as a programmer, and I find myself balking at
> the installation requirements of the pythonic stuff I have looked
> at. That is, as I work through the steps I wonder how on earth an end
> user will deal with this.

As Bob said, you really shouldn't make the end user deal with this.
OTOH, PyObjC is hardly traumatising to install -- "double click this
pkg".  Not x-platform of course, unless Gnustep suddenly happens in a
way that it hasn't yet.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  ARTHUR:  But which is probably incapable of drinking the coffee.