[Pythonmac-SIG] system, popen, tarfile on OS X

Bill MacKenzie bmackenzie at avpress.com
Mon Mar 7 18:47:37 CET 2005

On Mar 5, 2005, at 2:50 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> On Mar 4, 2005, at 6:17 PM, Bill MacKenzie wrote:
>
>> I'm preparing a script which will launch an external program (a JAR),
>>  process the XML file that results, tar the files output from the
>> processed XML, and FTP the tarball to a remote location.
>>
>> The middle and the end are just fine, but running the external
>> program and tarring the results have me hung up.
>>
>> I see system, popen and tarfile  available in the modules list, but
>> not on the Mac version.
>>
>> I need to be able to give the external (JAR) command line arguments
>> based on the system clock.
>>
>> I could adapt a Perl script that currently does this task, but where
>> would be the fun in that?
>>
>> I'm running OS X.3.7 and Python 2.3.
>
> Python 2.3 on OS X definitely has everything that you say it doesn't.
> What is this "modules list" you're referring to?
>
> -bob

The module list is the Python Global Module Index at
http://www.python.org/doc/current/modindex.html.

Apparently, just sending the question caused a few lightbulbs to go off
in my head.

I've been  launching Python scripts from the GUI by double clicking.
That was pointed at the Python Interpreter in Applications/Python 2.2
NOT PythonLauncher (2.3).

Once I straightened that out, I can now tar and (I assume) launch
scripts. I'll run some more tests today and should be out of the woods
by sunset.

Thanks for being there, Bob.

Bill

Bill MacKenzie