[Pythonmac-SIG] Tcl/Tk Aqua

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Mon Mar 7 16:07:08 CET 2005

On Mar 7, 2005, at 9:44, Kevin Walzer wrote:

> Bob Ippolito wrote:
> |

> | What you don't see is the stupid messages I get off-list because the
> | PackMan UI sucks and confuses people.  I'm tempted to just take it
> down
> | entirely so I don't have to see these messages (I have removed
> | references to the plist files from my site, but the plists themselves
> | should still be there).  If Jack intends to maintain the official
> | repository, or not, that's fine with me -- but mine is dead.
> |
> | It would be trivial to build a new installer for _tkinter.so.  It's
> *one
> | file*.  It could be packaged up with the TclTkAquaBI pkg, so you can
> do
> | the whole thing in one fell swoop.
>
> I sympathize, and agree that PackMan is confusing. Some clarification
> from Jack about how the how repositiories about python.org will be
> maintained, or not maintained, would be helpful.

Personally I'd much rather see an official MacPython build of 2.4.1..
but I guess I could build it myself and redistribute it Jack doesn't
get around to it in time.

> Since I do a lot with Tcl/Tk, I would also be willing to look into
> putting together a package installer of the tkinter module and of IDLE.
> That would be useful to me for several reasons, not the least of which
> is that I actually find IDLE to be a useful editor. Since it's packaged
> as an applet, that would be consistent with the other stuff I maintain.

Doesn't an IDLE applet come with the add-ons?

IDLE is useful as an interactive interpreter because it's (in my
experience) the only one that actually does it right by running the
sub-interpreters out of process.  I wish the other IDEs would learn.

> What I don't know how to do is build _tkinter.so. Any advice on that
> front?

You need to rip apart Python's source a bit to build _tkinter.so.  You
can just cherry-pick the _tkinter.so you already have, though.  There
isn't anything terribly wrong with it, is there?