[Pythonmac-SIG] system, popen, tarfile on OS X

Bill MacKenzie bmackenzie at avpress.com
Sat Mar 5 00:17:26 CET 2005

Hi,

I'm preparing a script which will launch an external program (a JAR),
process the XML file that results, tar the files output from the
processed XML, and FTP the tarball to a remote location.

The middle and the end are just fine, but running the external program
and tarring the results have me hung up.

I see system, popen and tarfile  available in the modules list, but not
on the Mac version.

I need to be able to give the external (JAR) command line arguments
based on the system clock.

I could adapt a Perl script that currently does this task, but where
would be the fun in that?

I'm running OS X.3.7 and Python 2.3.

Thanks for your help.

Bill