[Pythonmac-SIG] malloc error with imaplib or socket on OS X

John P Speno speno at isc.upenn.edu
Tue Mar 1 16:54:34 CET 2005

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 02:01:29PM +0000, Chris Miles wrote:
> The data that was causing the MemoryError was a 9 MB mail message on
> the IMAP server.  After I deleted this message the program on the Mac
> ran fine.  The other messages were max 1 MB in size and there were
> about 114 of them.  (The program downloads every message from a user's
> IMAP account, amongst other things.)

Are you perhaps running into a resource limit for the user who is running the applicaiton?
By default, OS X has pretty low limits:

% limit
cputime         unlimited
filesize        unlimited
datasize        6144 kbytes
stacksize       8192 kbytes
coredumpsize    0 kbytes
memoryuse       unlimited
descriptors     256
memorylocked    unlimited
maxproc         100

Try raising the datasize limit. In tcsh, that's as simple as saying 'unlimit'.
In sh variants, you need some specific flags.