[Pythonmac-SIG] Finding what a broken alias refers to.

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Fri Jun 24 17:29:49 CEST 2005

On 24-jun-2005, at 16:52, has wrote:

> Bob wrote:
>

>> Nobody is suggesting that we manually wrap Carbon.
>>

> Indeed. However, given the effective deadlock that bgen is causing
> (great-in-theory being the enemy of good-in-practice) perhaps we
> could find a pragmatic compromise? A semi-automated system that
> works adequately would, I think, be preferable to a fully automated
> one that doesn't.
>
> 1. Could we take the current bgen-generated C source and turn it
> over to manual maintainers? Apple's Carbon APIs aren't changing
> much these days, so I doubt there'll be much need to regenerate
> existing extensions from scratch, and it'll be easier to find
> volunteers willing to apply bugfixes and minor addition by hand
> than via bgen. Copy-n-paste and C macros should be more than
> adequate for this kind of work. e.g. I'd be willing to fix and
> maintain the AE and OSA extensions by hand, whereas there's
> probably zero chance of finding someone willing to actively work on
> them via bgen.

There's little change that this will be accepted in the official tree.

> 2. Could we take the more useful Carbon extensions and create a new
> third-party 'CarbonX' package where they can be actively developed
> and maintained? The original Carbon extensions in the standard
> distribution could be quietly deprecated; a lot of it's just
> deadweight anyway. I can't see them being thrown out before Python
> 3.0, but we can discourage their use in favour of alternatives like
> CarbonX and PyObjC.

Nobody would be stopping you if you wanted to maintain part of the
Carbon package out-of-tree. It is important though to pick a
new module namespace, at least while the in-tree stuff is still present.

BTW. I've no problems with adding usefull wrappers to PyObjC,
especially when those wrappers would use scanframework. Someone else
would have to do the legwork to get them in a good enough shape to
add them though, I'm have not enough time to work on PyObjC
as it is.

Ronald