[Pythonmac-SIG] Appscript Installer 1.1a1

Nick Matsakis matsakis at mit.edu
Sat Jun 4 00:22:44 CEST 2005

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> I don't think that's worth the effort. Someone who goes through the
> effort of downloading a python 2.4.1 can also download a seperate
> installer for appscript-for-python2.4 (and every other package they like
> to use with python 2.4).

That's the same as saying "someone who does some work can do more work".
Why should this person do more work when they don't have to?  Why don't we
just take the half-cent worth of disk space and install the 2.4 binaries
while we're there?

It's great that Python ships on Macs now, but the python "add-on"
experience is really weak.  If someone wants to run the latest python on
their Mac they have to sort through py23Compat, TigerPython23Compat,
TigerPython24Fix, PantherPythonFix, MacPythonPantherAddons and figure out
which apply to their system.  If we're taking the time to build an
installer package, then we shouldn't we spend the effort to make sure our
users don't have to? To install bdist_mkpg on 10.4 I had to download
*three* different packages.  Why is this necessary?

Nick Matsakis