[Pythonmac-SIG] appscript help - supposed to work?

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Fri Jul 15 12:48:20 CEST 2005

Nicholas Riley wrote:

> > I seem to remember this used to work... I tried with a couple of
>> other apps too; same problem.
>
>And five seconds after sending that, I realize you're supposed to use
>foo.help() instead.  It would be nice if help() didn't barf quite as
>badly though.

Yep. Though I dunno if there's much can be done beyond squelching the pydoc-triggered error message. I'll patch this in the next release, though I don't think it really helps since you still won't get any help info from it. Pydoc makes assumptions about an object's structure that don't work very well on 'magic' objects like appscript's. Only solution I can think of would be to put in a feature request for a new magic method, __help__, that objects could optionally implement when they want to supply pydoc with their own choice of help data instead of it scraping this info itself.

has
--
http://freespace.virgin.net/hamish.sanderson/