[Pythonmac-SIG] building rpy

Teemu Rinne Teemu.Rinne at helsinki.fi
Sat Jul 9 21:09:06 CEST 2005

--On Saturday, July 9, 2005 8:34 AM -1000 Bob Ippolito <bob at redivi.com>
wrote:

> On Jul 9, 2005, at 7:08 AM, Teemu Rinne wrote:
>
>> Based on google searches, it seems that rpy (interface for R)
>> should build
>> ok on 10.3.9... how to do it? Is there a binary installer available
>> (compatible with pythonmac.org/packages/)?
>>
>> Building for R version 2.1.1 ...
>> running build
>> running build_py
>> running build_ext
>> building '_rpy' extension
>> gcc -Wl,-F. -Wl,-F. -bundle -framework Python
>> build/temp.darwin-7.9.0-Power_Macintosh-2.3/src/rpymodule.o
>> build/temp.darwin-7.9.0-Power_Macintosh-2.3/src/R_eval.o
>> build/temp.darwin-7.9.0-Power_Macintosh-2.3/src/io.o
>> -L/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/Frameworks -lR -o
>> build/lib.darwin-7.9.0-Power_Macintosh-2.3/_rpy.so
>> ld: warning -L: directory name
>> (/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/Frameworks) does not exist
>> ld: can't locate file for: -lR
>> error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1
>
> It looks like you need to install R.
>
> -bob

I installed the binaries from <http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/>,
R-2.1.1.dmg.

demo(graphics) works ok, R seems to be installed.

Contents of /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources look like this:

AUTHORS         FAQ             RESOURCES       etc             man1
COPYING         NEWS            THANKS          include         modules
COPYING.LIB     ONEWS           bin             lib             share
COPYRIGHTS      R               doc             library

That is, /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/Frameworks is missing,
thus, there is something wrong with my R installation? How should it be
installed then to get the missing Frameworks dir?

Thanks,

Teemu