[Pythonmac-SIG] How do you find the app that matches a creator type

Read Roberts rroberts at adobe.com
Mon Jan 31 19:00:25 CET 2005

Thank you both very much for your responses. This
was very helpful - I now have working code.

Using the package pointed to by Bob Ippolito, I
find I cannot use the import statement suggested
by has  hengist, although it may work with the
package that he points to. My code now looks like:

from LaunchServices.Launch import LSFindApplicationForInfo
from Carbon.CoreFoundation import kCFURLPOSIXPathStyle
import MacOS

creatorID = 'KONA'

    try:
      adobeHelpFSRef, adobeHelpURL = \
                  LSFindApplicationForInfo(creatorID, None, None)
       adobeHelpPath = \

adobeHelpURL.CFURLCopyFileSystemPath(kCFURLPOSIXPathStyle).toPython()
    except MacOS.Error :
       adobeHelpPath = None

adobeHelpPath is now a Unicode string, and needs
to be encoded as 'utf-8' to work with some file
operatons.