[Pythonmac-SIG] Python+Automator?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Sun Jan 23 19:10:57 CET 2005

On Jan 23, 2005, at 10:52, has wrote:

> Bob wrote:
>
>> Given the description, it would be trivial to write an Automator
>> Action in PyObjC 1.2+ using the py2app plug-in bundle support.
>
> Cool. How hard would it be to provide casual users a more Pythonic,
> easy-to-use API over part or all of that, you think? Or would it be
> more sensible to wait for Python's OSA support to get to the level
> where it could use the Studio API?

Well, you need to write one class and implement one particular function
that returns a list.  I don't really see what you could do to make it
significantly easier to use beyond creating a template for the 5 or 6
lines of boilerplate.

The Objective-C API is going to be faster and richer anyway, I don't
see a reason to care about the OSA interface for Automator in this
context.

> An Xcode template would be nice as well; even if only for marketing's
> sake. Would that be a big job?

Not particularly.