[Pythonmac-SIG] Bob Ippolito's synopsis of Python(s) on OS X

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Sat Jan 8 17:26:03 CET 2005

FWIW: After going through everything I could find for OS X (PyOxide,
SPE, IDLE, etc) and giving up on all of it, I finally sprang for $35
for the Personal Edition of WingIDE. It's very good, and very well
supported. The Personal Edition is missing a bunch of stuff I don't
care about and one thing I do, debug Watch values. The debugger is well
integrated; you can debug by the project or by the module, which is
very handy. Though the editor is slightly clunky (I prefer
TextWrangler) it's perfectly workable. The integration with wxPython is
excellent.

The only thing I don't like about Wing -- aside from having to pay
actual money -- is that it runs under X11, the only app I have (so far)
that requires it. The different (anti-Mac) key-bindings are annoying,
but I believe I could change that if I took the time to build a
"personality" in Wing. The performance hit from X11 doesn't seem to be
severe, and it plays well with Virtual Desktop Pro (which I'm also
going to have to pay for because after five days I can't live without
it).

Charles Hartman
Professor of English, Poet in Residence
http://cherry.conncoll.edu/cohar