[Pythonmac-SIG] pychecker

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Tue Jan 4 04:25:49 CET 2005

Mike Hansen wrote:
> I'm having trouble getting pychecker to work in OS X 10.3.7
>
> I installed it and don't recall seeing any error messages.
> In the terminal when I type
> pychecker myprogram.py
> -bash: pychecker: command not found
>
> I noticed in the pythonmac faq, it mentioned that many disutils packages
> install into /System/Library/Frameworks... and suggests creating a
> symbolic link in /usr/local/bin to the script.
>
> I'm learning unix/linux, so I'm not exactly fluent in unix/linux. I
> created the link from /usr/local/bin
> ln -s
> /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/bin/pychecker
> pychecker
>
> Unfortunately, it will won't work. Did I create the link properly?

Probably. Are you sure /usr/local/bin is in your PATH?

> Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get pychecker to work?

Create a file in your home directory called .pydistutils.cfg (yes, the
first dot is important).

Put the following text (between the two #-comment lines) into it:

# Begin File
[install]
install-purelib=/Library/Python/2.3
install-platlib=/Library/Python/2.3