[Pythonmac-SIG] MacPython 2.3.5 for 10.2 Release Candidate available

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Thu Feb 10 23:31:54 CET 2005

On Feb 10, 2005, at 5:12 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2005, at 5:03 PM, Jack Jansen wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>> a MacPython 2.3.5 release for MacOSX 10.2 (also works on 10.3) is
>> available for testing. Please download it from
>> <http://homepages.cwi.nl/~jack/macpython/beta.html> and send feedback
>> (preferably to the mailing list) telling me whether it works.
>>
>> I'm quite convinced this is going to be the final installer, but
>> before I publicly announce it I'd like a couple of positive replies.
>> Also, the PackMan database for 10.2 isn't as complete as I'd like
>> yet, that'll be done in the next few days.
>
> Why not ship it with the fix for 10.3?  Maybe in a folder called
> "INSTALL THIS FIRST IF USING MAC OS X 10.3"?  :)

I tried it out on 10.3 and it works great (at runtime).  It will import
extensions I've built for the 10.3 Python (since I built them with the
fix), and py2app embeds this Python quite happily.
I have not tried it yet on 10.2, nor have I tried it with a 2.4
framework also installed.

When building extensions, it won't let me use MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET
at all:

% env MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.3 /usr/local/bin/python setup.py build
error: $MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET mismatch: now "10.3" but "" during
configure

% env MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.2 /usr/local/bin/python setup.py build
error: $MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET mismatch: now "10.2" but "" during
configure

% env MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET="" /usr/local/bin/python setup.py build
(succeeds)

This isn't the biggest deal in the world, but it forces the compiler
and linker to default to 10.1 semantics -- when in reality anything I
build will be compatible with 10.2 at best.