[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Mac Guikits

Troy Rollins troy.rollins at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 16:24:09 CET 2005

> I'd just like to point out an exception to your rule.
> REALBasic was originally developed for the mac, but
> now includes versions for windows and linux.  Any one
> version can cross compile to the other two platforms,
> and their (proprietary) guikit produces native-looking
> & feeling apps on each.  In fact, I found developing
> quick applications so easy I was happy to buy a
> license.
>
> This just goes to show that there IS money to be made
> catering to mac users.  In fact, the only reason I've
> switched to Python is to future-proof my applications.
>    (But I would -love- to have an IDE / gui builder as
> simple as the one that came with RB)

Totally agree! And I'm moving to Python for the same reasons as well.

Personally, I thing all of the current GUI builders look like Windows
ports (since they mostly are), and do not reflect the way a Mac user
would develop anything, never mind a GUI designer. For the most part,
I think it is going to take a tool which originates on the Mac to be
one which actually looks and behaves like Mac users would expect....
which I suppose is what PyObjC is all about...

--
Troy Rollins
RPSystems, Ltd.