[Pythonmac-SIG] modifying setup.py: py2exe -> py2app

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Feb 2 03:53:55 CET 2005

On Feb 1, 2005, at 21:42, Chris Jerdonek wrote:

> I'm new to py2app (and also to python somewhat).
>
> I wasn't able to find any documentation, so I'm turning here.
>
> I'm trying to generate a setup.py file that I can use with py2app.  I
> have the setup.py file that someone made tailored to py2exe.
>
> Is it straightforward to modify that?  I haven't had success because I
> can't tell which commands are py2exe/Windows-specific, or even what
> the needed py2app commands/options are.  I only saw the "minimal"
> setup.py for py2ap in the wiki.
>
> The application I'm using it for uses wxPython and html help files.
>
> Thanks for any help, and thanks for all the work everyone put into
> writing/designing py2app.

Without knowing what's in the setup.py that you're trying to convert, I
can't give you any specific advice.  py2app ships with several examples
of varying complexity that are installed to:
/Developer/Python/py2app/Examples

The list of options py2app will accept is shown when you do "python
setup.py py2app --help".  These can be converted into setup.py speak by
replacing the hyphens with underscores and passing them to setup() in
an options dictionary (many of the examples do this).