[Pythonmac-SIG] pythonw and python with applescript

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Dec 14 01:53:41 CET 2005

On Dec 13, 2005, at 4:45 PM, Zhi Peng wrote:

> See if I go the right direction.
>
> On Wed, I will use my old code to build .so file which is run on
> Linux. See what happen.
>
> I used swig and get name.so file and get rid of error message. When
> I start python or pythonw and import name
> from command line, it just hang there. It is interesting (not show
> any error). I would rather write a little more code on this part.
> On Linux, it generate name.so, is it same name style on MAc ? any
> difference? Thanks Bob and others.

Use distutils, it knows how to build extensions on all platforms.  If
you're not using distutils, then you'll almost certainly do something
incorrectly.  Distutils knows better than you which compiler and
linker options to use for linking extensions.

Yes, the naming convention for Python extensions on Linux and Mac OS
X happens to be the same.  The actual extension binaries are going to
be very different and totally incompatible though.