[Pythonmac-SIG] Speed up Python on the Mac?

Louis Pecora pecora at anvil.nrl.navy.mil
Tue Dec 6 18:07:26 CET 2005

I am seeking opinions on the best approaches to speed up Python on my
Mac (OS X 10.3.9).

I know about the profiling and find the bottlenecks approach, but then
the choices of what to do are not clear.  I have in the past written a
few C modules and turned them into importable Python modules, but that
was really time consuming and frustrating.

I see there are many other approaches (SWIG, Pyrex, Psyco -- some may
not be available on the Mac), so I thought I would start here to ask
what people in this email list use and recommend.

I am looking for something that is an all-in-one package (if possible),
easy to use (if possible), and reliable (a must).  Does such exist for OS X?

I do number crunching/scientific programming using BBEdit and the Apple
supplied Python.  I do not need to squeeze every last CPU cycle out of
my Mac, just get a good speedup ratio (roughly 5X or better).

Thanks for any advice.

--
Cheers,

Lou Pecora