[Pythonmac-SIG] Python 2.4.1 not replacing earlier versions.

Craig Amundsen cdamundsen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 20:59:35 CEST 2005

Hi -

On 8/30/05, Simon Brunning <simon.brunning at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think that may be something to do with the fact that the original
> version of Python that came with the machine is still 'in charge'.
> Starting Python on the command line gives me version 2.3.5 - and when
> I installed appscript, it beccame available to Python 2.3.5 but not to
> Python 2.4.

The python you installed lives in /usr/local/bin. If you want it to
run when you type 'python' at the prompt you need to make sure that
/usr/local/bin is before /usr/bin in your path.

> Now, I can appreciate that changing the version of Python that the OS
> uses might not be a good idea, but how do I get 2.4.1 working with
> appscript and PyObjC? Or is that a bad idea?

When you build modules they are available to the version of python
that built them. So if you build appscript (and its many dependencies)
and PyObjC with 2.4.1, you'll be able to load them with 2.4.1.

- Craig

PS - Oh, and don't try to replace the Apple-supplied Python with a
newer version. Down that path lies madness and reinstallation of the
system. With proper attention, multiple versions of Python can live
quite happily on the Mac.