[Pythonmac-SIG] SPE 0.7.5.c released (feature rich python ide)

Stani s_t_a_n_i at gmx.net
Tue Aug 23 02:45:03 CEST 2005

Hi,

A new version of SPE is released, see http://pythonide.stani.be

I am eager to port SPE to the Mac. Recently I tried to put a lot effort
to get SPE on the Mac. I started a spe-mac-user list and was posting
there all kind of patches, than I had to wait for some reactions with
feedback of tracebacks and screenshots. This went bit by bit and seemed
endless. However it became clear for me that at least it should be
possible to port SPE to the mac. But needless to say that development
cycle was slow and very inefficient.

Suddenly Rich Brown, a spe mac user, took the initiative to start a
fundraising so I could buy a mac to develop SPE properly. For me this
was more than welcome as I almost start giving up as developing SPE for
Mac took me a lot of time in proportion to the effort I had to put on
it. Moreover it frozes the development of SPE itself. This campaign
looks like if it is going to work. This means I will buy a Mac and start
finally the Mac port.

As Hraban told me I should announce SPE to this list, I tought of giving
it a try. To my surprise I found in the archives that there was already
quite some posting about SPE. That gave me the hope this interest might
not be gone. Therefore some of you might be willing to donate the last
bits to make the purchase of a Mini-Mac for SPE possible. (Please
mention with the donation is for the mac.) It would be nice if you
consider this seriously. This is the deal: you give me a Mac and I give
you SPE.

Thanks,
Stani

http://pythonide.stani.be
http://pythonide.stani.be/screenshots

More info about the fund raising:
“*What it would be worth to you to have a new release of SPE running on
your Mac Os X
the same day as it appears on other platforms? $50? $75? $100? My
company, Dartware, has contributed 250 Euros to start the fundraising.
We're willing to give a major boost because it's worth it for us to have
a nice environment for Python programming.
<http://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/python-spe-mac/2005-August/000054.html>*”
/- Rich Brown (Dartware) <http://www.dartware.com/>

/Do you work on Mac Os X? To support the development of SPE for Mac,
some enthousiastic SPE users have started a fund raising campaign to buy
a Mac. Acquiring a Mac for SPE will allow to optimize it properly and to
release simultaneously for Mac Os X. Any donation is welcome, but of
course generous donations are necessary. Due to the high Paypal
commission fees, European users are explicitly requested to donate
through IBAN. More info on the donation
<http://www.stani.be/python/spe/blog/sm_donate> page.

In the chart on http://pythonide.stani.be you see in red how much is
still required to make the purchase (mini Mac & KVM switch) go through.
If some people would donate 50 euros, this target could easily get
archieved. Otherwise if you have an old Mac, which runs Os X and which
you are ready to give to SPE, contact me
<mailto:spe.stani.be%20at%20gmail.com?subject=About%20SPE...&amp>. If
someone is able to convince Mac to do some sponsering, please contact me
<mailto:spe.stani.be%20at%20gmail.com?subject=About%20SPE...&amp> as well.

Posting which started the fundraising:
http://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/python-spe-mac/2005-August/000054.html

List of people who donated (donations without paypal commission fees):

    * Rich Brown, Dartware (250 euro)
    * Brian Myers (100 euro)
    * Stefan Csomor, Advanced Concepts (50 euro)
    * Stefano Morandi (50 euro)
    * Kenneth McDonald (40 euro)
    * Phil Hargett (10 euro)

Who is next?