[Pythonmac-SIG] Some questions about going to MacOS X 10.4

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Thu Aug 25 16:16:03 CEST 2005

On 24-aug-2005, at 19:46, Bob Ippolito wrote:

>> Especially with the intel stuff coming down the pike, I'd dearly
>> like to
>> be able to develop the C++ portions of my app under 10.4 and XCode
>> 2.1,
>> but still ship apps that could run under 10.3.
>>

> This is ESPECIALLY hard to do, because you basically have to compile
> it with gcc 3.3 (for ppc), then compile it with gcc 4 (for x86)
> somewhere else and then lipo everything together.  Unless you only
> care about 10.3.9, in which case you could build with gcc 4 against
> the universal SDK.  I think PyObjC has some experimental code in its
> setup.py to build against the universal sdk (look for -isysroot --
> the SDK flags changed in gcc4).

PyObjC does indeed contain some experimental code to build universal
binaries. I don't think this is really the Right Way (TM) to do it,
although the SDK-part is be correct. Two seperate compiles + lipo
seems to be the more flexible approach.

What I'd like to do, but probably won't happen until the week grows
days between Saturday and Sunday, is hack on the Python build process
and distutils to make it support cross-compiling on OSX: universal
binaries that run on anything from 10.2 on PPC and 10.4 on Intel,
with a PPC64 version added for fun. There's lots of issues that have
to be dealt with before getting to this ideal situations, most of
which have to do with autoconf (and simular constructs in setup.py
files).

Ronald