[Pythonmac-SIG] SciPy install on Tiger with Python 2.4.1 framework

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri Aug 19 18:00:11 CEST 2005

Samuel M. Smith wrote:
> How do I get it to include the g77 install which it needs to build?

I'm not sure I understand your question. bdist_mpkg creates a binary
package from a python package created with distutils, so it doesn't need
to include the compiler. However, you may be asking about shared libs
that come with g77. In that case, I don't think you can get it to
include them. This leaves two options:

1) Package up the required libs another way, as a tarball or whatever.

2) statically link everything that isn't a system library --that's what
I did for matplotlib

It's also possible to include the shared libs in a package, but I don't
think bdist_mpkg does that for you. However, it's built on the py2app
machinery, which can include shared libs in a application bundle, so it
may be possible.

Charles Moad created a matplotlib package that includes the shared libs
required, you might try to find out how he did it.

http://sda.iu.edu/projects.html

Also be sure to check out Robert Kern's MacEnthon project as well.

http://www.scipy.org/wikis/featurerequests/MacEnthon

-Chris

>>> http://pythonmac.org/packages/numarray-1.1.1-py2.4-macosx10.3.zip
>>> http://prdownloads.sf.net/hpc/g77v3.4-bin.tar.gz?download
>>> http://www.fftw.org/fftw-2.1.5.tar.gz
>>> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/aquaterm/AquaTerm1.0.b2.dmg
>>> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gnuplot/Gnuplot-4.0.0.dmg
>>> http://ipython.scipy.org/tmp/scipy_cvs_2005-07-29.tgz
>>>
>>> Make sure framework python 2.41 is default python by putting
>>> /usr/local/bin at the front of shell PATH variable
>>>
>>> Install Numeric 23.7 from pkg installer
>>> Install numarray 1.1.1 from pkg installer
>>>
>>> Set default gcc compiler to version 3.3 this must be so for
>>> compatibility with g77 fortran compiler used in scipy

>>> Install g77 3.4

>>> Install fftw 2.1.5

>>> gunzipped)

>>> Install F2PY 2.1.5

>>> Install AquaTerm 1.0b2 from pkg installer
>>>
>>> Install GnuPlot 4.0 from pkg installer
>>>
>>> Untar the scipy_cvs_2005_07_29.tgx
>>> cd to the scipy directory
>>> Build and Install scipy

>>> Test

>>> Expect that some tests will fail. The test function should  complete OK.

>> --
>> Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
>> Oceanographer
>>
>> NOAA/OR&R/HAZMAT         (206) 526-6959   voice
>> 7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax
>> Seattle, WA  98115       (206) 526-6317   main reception
>>
>> Chris.Barker at noaa.gov

> Samuel M. Smith Ph.D.
> 2966 Fort Hill Road
> Eagle Mountain, Utah 84043
> 801-768-2768 voice
> 801-768-2769 fax
> "The greatest source of failure and unhappiness in the world is
> giving up what we want most for what we want at the moment"

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov