[Pythonmac-SIG] Set/get finder color label of a file

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Thu Aug 18 18:23:16 CEST 2005

matthias oberlaender wrote:

>I would very much like to get and set the color label (or 'label index')
>of a file programmatically from Python. I spent quite some time googling,
>but  was unable to extract the necessary bits how to do it with a few
>Carbon calls.

Dunno about Carbon APIs, but it's easy enough using IPC:

#!/usr/bin/env pythonw

from appscript import *
from macfile import Alias

path = '/Users/has/test.txt'
label = 3

app('Finder').items[Alias(path)].label_index.set(label)
print app('Finder').items[Alias(path)].label_index.get()

See <http://freespace.virgin.net/hamish.sanderson/appscript.html>. Note: if you install appscript using the binary installer (easiest), you'll also need to d/l the latest appscript-0.13.1.tar.gz package from <http://freespace.virgin.net/hamish.sanderson/appscript_source.html> and install that as well.

HTH

has
--
http://freespace.virgin.net/hamish.sanderson/