[Pythonmac-SIG] Active Directory authentication on Mac using Python

brad.allen@omsdal.com brad.allen at omsdal.com
Tue Aug 16 18:27:05 CEST 2005

Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com> wrote on 08/14/2005 12:12:17 PM:

> I could build python-ldap 2.0.9 after I removed 'sasl2' from the
> 'libs' line in setup.cfg, OSX doesn't seem to have the header files
> needed for sasl support in python-ldap.

I was trying to include SASL because I thought that would be needed
to do secure authentication with AD. Not that I really understand
anything about SASL, I just naively expected it would be necessary
(and found that python-ldap on Windows without SASL wouldn't authenticate
to our Active Directory).

I ended up trying to build OpenLDAP and Berkeley DB from source
to so that python-ldap could use that, but failed miserably after
serveral hours of trying.

It would be really nice if python-ldap could just use the existing
OpenLDAP with SASL support on Tiger; I recall from the python-ldap
mailing list that this was do-able under Panther.

Henning Hraban Ramm wrote on 08/14/2005 11:22:45 AM:

> > Because of the difficulty in getting python-ldap to build on Mac OS
10.4

> Perhaps this helps:
>
> http://twistedmatrix.com/users/tv/ldap-intro/ldap-intro.html
> http://tv.debian.net/software/ldaptor/ (based on twisted, see http:
> //twistedmatrix.com)

That looks promising...I've been playing around with Twisted at
my web hosting service...I will try building and installing on a Mac.

Brad Allen
IT Desktop Support

brad.allen at omsdal.com