[Pythonmac-SIG] wxPython apps keep crashing on me :-(

Bill Northcott w.northcott at unsw.edu.au
Mon Aug 15 02:11:34 CEST 2005

On 15/08/2005, at 9:14 AM, Adriano  wrote:
> They are Boa Constructor, wxGlade and probably also XRCed
>
> I downloaded the prepackaged version by Kevin Walzer and I have the
> first question for him (I hope he's reading). The package that
> contained Spe-OsX, wxGlade and XRCed (I think) was on the WordTech
> site and it seems it's not there any longer. Are they ? What
> happened ?
>
> The problem I have is that I try to follow the tutorials, the one
> for wxGlade and the one for Boa, and they keep crashing :-(
> I start again and repeat from scratch and they crash again at a
> different step !
> I'm on an ibook with MacOs X 10.4.1.
>
> Now, I have two (2) versions of wxPython on my machine. The one
> from Apple and it's the 2.5.x and another one I installed (I don't
> remember where I got it) and it's 2.6.1.0
>
> If I open the "About..." window in wxGlade I read it's wxGlade
> 0.4cvs, on Python 2.4.1 (I installed it, don't remember where I got
> it) and wxPython 2.6.1.0
>
> Another question: how can I choose which python and which wxPython
> should they run with? If I launch wxGlade it chooses Python 2.4.1
> which has wxPython 2.6.x in its path.

A couple of thoughts:
1.  You seem to be using a G3 cpu.  It is possible that at least one
of the various bits you have downloaded is using Altivec.
2.  Why not try building Python sources from scratch?  Get g77 from
hpc.sourceforge.net and select gcc-3.3 by doing 'sudo gcc_select 3.3'.
Trash all your other non-Apple libraries and don't use Fink.  If
Apple can build the version that comes installed with Tiger you
should be able to build on your system without a load of questionable
binaries.

The version of python you use will be the one which comes first in
your PATH.  Try 'which python' which will tell you.  Apple puts
symlinks in /usr/bin.  If your home built/otherwise obtained Python
comes before /usr/bin in the PATH it will be used.

Bill Northcott