[Pythonmac-SIG] SciPy install on Tiger with Python 2.4.1 framework

Bill Northcott w.northcott at unsw.edu.au
Sun Aug 14 01:00:56 CEST 2005

On 12/08/2005, at 4:26 AM, Samuel M.Smith wrote:
> And now setup.py build still exits with an error in the same place
> but the error is different
>
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
> _fprintf$LDBLStub
> _sprintf$LDBLStub
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

See my email of 24 July.  There is a basic problem with the Python
build system because it uses the system libtool to build libraries.
This is fragile.

The 'right way' to build libraries is to use the gcc compiler driver
because this automatically ensures that the appropriate system
libraries get linked.  The compiler driver can also do stuff like
multiple invocations of libtool, ld and lipo to build fat multi-
architecture binaries.

Bob said he accepted the patch, but I can't see it in the CVS.

Bill