[Pythonmac-SIG] [q] Help with choosing "right" python port

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue Aug 9 20:54:33 CEST 2005

On Aug 9, 2005, at 8:40 AM, Robert Valsjö wrote:

> OK I'm a longtime Mac user and I really want to develop Python on
> this platform (Mac OS X).
>
> I've read many mails on the most popular python mailling lists and I
> can't really decide which IDE and also which python distribution I
> should choose.
>
> E.g I've seen that Jack Jansen official python for Mac webpages
> dosen't seem to be updated. Is that site "dead"?

It's not up to date, I'm not sure if it's going to stay that way
forever or not.

> Bob's pages seems more updated. Is this the new "official" python for
> Mac (Framework based)?

The framework-based Python on undefined.org is the same one you can
download from python.org.

> Even Activestate has now a distribution for Macs.

I'd use either my release, or ActiveState's.  ActiveState's release
is more supported than mine is, because it's part of somebody's job
over there to care (and my job is better served if I don't ;), so
theirs might be a pretty good option right now.