[Pythonmac-SIG] Active Directory authentication on Mac using Python

brad.allen@omsdal.com brad.allen at omsdal.com
Sat Aug 6 06:31:57 CEST 2005

Bob Ippolito <bob at redivi.com> wrote on 08/05/2005 09:05:23 PM:

> The generic way to do the authentication is just to use LDAP, since
> Active Directory is just a jazzed up LDAP database server with a non-
> standard Kerberos implementation.  You can crib some code from
> LDAPUserFolder for the authentication bits.  I'm not sure exactly
> what "obtaining credentials" involves, but I'm guessing that's just a
> Kerberos ticket?  Mac OS X should have all the APIs to do it, since
> it has good Kerberos support which supposedly integrates well with
> Active Directory... you'll probably have to a C extension to get at
> that, but that should be no big deal.
>
> Good luck, I don't have any Windows Server machines around, and am
> not really interested in dealing with Windows... but hopefully
> somebody else can help you :)

Thanks, Bob. By saying "obtain credentials" I meant to stay generic in
describing goals since I don't know whether the options presented
to us would involve Kerberos or NTLM, though we definitely prefer
Kerberos.

I guess there's no need to restrict this query to Python mailing
lists, since I guess we could wrap a C solution. I guess I need
to go look at some Mac developer mailing lists.

Brad Allen
IT Desktop Support

brad.allen at omsdal.com