[Pythonmac-SIG] Getting Sharing name of the Macintosh via Python?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Thu Aug 4 12:10:34 CEST 2005

On Aug 3, 2005, at 11:43 PM, Schollnick, Benjamin wrote:

>> Anyone have any idea on how to get the Machine Name from the Sharing
>> Preference pane?
>> The only real solution that I have thought up is to find the plist
>> and
>> read it from there....
>>

> <http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1078.html>
>
> The major problem with this is that I'm trying for a python
> based solution....
>
> So I guess I could use PyObj to bridge to Objective C... But
> I've never touched that... (Sorry Bob! >grin<)
>
> Any ideas on a Python based solution?

Unless you're using ctypes or PyObjC to FFI those functions, there is
no Python based solution that I'm aware of.  Alternatively, you could
of course write an extension in C or Pyrex.

In general, if it wasn't part of MacOS 9 or isn't standard POSIX,
you're not going to find it in the stdlib... except for a few
CoreFoundation functions, which you shouldn't use anyway because some
of them are/were broken.