[Pythonmac-SIG] converting file paths between HFS and POSIX formats

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Sat Apr 23 11:01:35 CEST 2005

Larry Meyn wrote:

>On Apr 22, 2005, at 7:00 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>
> >> There are still some scriptable applications that only deal with HFS
> >> paths, so I would vote for including conversion options if it's no
> >> too much trouble.  However, the need will decrease with time.
> >> (Although I think KaleidaGraph may never get upgraded scripting
> >> abilities.)
> >
> > Does it really take HFS paths as strings, and not FSSpec?  Even if it
> > did, wouldn't a FSSpec be coerced to a HFS path string along the way?
> >
>KaleidaGraph has it's own scripting language, so for anything beyond
>open and close commands, one passes a KaleidaGraph script as a string.
>Hence the need for HFS path strings.  I've got some code, based on what
>Jack suggested, that does what I need.  Offhand, I can't think of any
>other applications with this requirement, so it may not be worth Has'
>time to support HFS path strings in his project if this is such a rare
>need.

Yeah, I think based on what folk here have said I'll leave out HFS path support for the time being. If I start getting lots of requests for it I can always add it in later along with the relevant caveats, but if it's just an occasional thing then they can always get a POSIX path and use Jack or Nicholas's code to convert it themselves.

Many thanks to all for the input,

has
--
http://freespace.virgin.net/hamish.sanderson/