[Pythonmac-SIG] Audio I/O

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Mon Apr 11 00:07:39 CEST 2005

On 2-apr-05, at 17:24, J. Devaney wrote:

> I'm working on a python project that requires audio I/O (via the
> soundcard) - I basically just need a stream that can be analyzed in
> real-time and stored to a file.  I've looked into various options -
> such as portaudio using a python wrapper - but since portability
> isn't really I issue I was wondering if there was a more direct
> (and simpler approach).

There's the Carbon.Snd module, which interfaces to the old Sound
Manager, and there's the Quicktime module.
I don't think the Quicktime module as shipped with Python 2.3 (which
Apple ships with 10.3) supports capturing, but I think that the
Quicktime module in 2.4 should support it. But: I don't know of people
who have tried it, so please report back here whether it works.

You can also download and install the new Quicktime for Python 2.3: if
you open the experimental database in Package Manager you'll see it
listed.
Goldman