[Pythonmac-SIG] ANN: MacPython 2.4.1 installer

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Fri Apr 8 23:59:44 CEST 2005

On Apr 8, 2005, at 2:43 PM, Lee Cullens wrote:

> On Mar 31, 2005, at 11:10 AM, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>

>> On Mar 31, 2005, at 10:59 AM, Charles Hartman wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> 2. (Then I need to set a path variable to say which one will be used
>>> in various contexts, such as debugging, building with py2app, etc.?)
>>
>> When typing "python":
>> - If /usr/bin comes before /usr/local/bin in your PATH then Python
>> 2.3.0 will be used, if /usr/local/bin comes first, then Python 2.4.1
>> will be used (of course, with sufficient other crap installed, this
>> may not be true).
>>
>> When typing "python2.3"
>> - Will always choose 2.3.0 (unless you have other crap installed)
>>
>> When typing "python2.4"
>> - Will always choose 2.4.1 (unless you have other crap installed, or
>> /usr/local/bin is not in the path)
>>
>> When running scripts installed by Python packages, their "#!" lines
>> are rewritten to point to a *specific* Python.  In those cases, it's
>> whichever you installed most recently.  For example, the bdist_mpkg
>> script that comes with py2app.
>
> It has been a dense day as I've had my head around an OOP design
> pattern approach, so I'm sure I'm missing the obvious with this side
> track :~)
>
> Having a little trouble getting at Python 2.4 and wondered what I need
> to set to get such by default. Do I need to reset the whole sys.path
> each time?  I also wanted Wing to access 2.4 in interactive mode
> before I setup a project, so I wanted something outside of Wing to
> stick.

When I say PATH I mean the PATH environment variable.

sys.path is a side-effect of which interpreter was run, not the cause
of it.  By the time sys.path even exists, you're already running
Python, so how could that be relevant?

> I used 2.4 previously but that was through
> Applications/MacPython-2.4/PythonIDE so I tried copying the Wing
> folder over to Applications/MacPython-2.4/  (from Applications/) but
> then Wing comes all garbled still (trying to) referencing 2.3.  The
> Terminal try follows, in turn followed by the PythonIDE in 2.4
> sys.path:

I've said this to you before, those folders are *NOT IN ANY WAY
SPECIAL*.  Moving stuff around on the filesystem isn't going to do
anything (except break stuff).

Read
<http://svn.red-bean.com/pyobjc/trunk/pyobjc/Doc/Xcode-Templates.html>,
hopefully you'll figure it out.  If not, search the archives or ask the
Wing folk.  I don't really have time right now to explain in more
detail than I already have.