[Pythonmac-SIG] readline space problem?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Mon Apr 4 00:04:37 CEST 2005

On Apr 3, 2005, at 5:31 PM, John Hunter wrote:

>     Bob> Then either it's a bug in readline, or you have some kind of
>     Bob> local configuration problem.  If you search around the Fink
>     Bob> project and find out that they're applying any patches, let
>     Bob> me know and I'll see if I can do something, but I'm not going
>     Bob> to research this further on my own.
>
> Just wanted to update you on this.  Fernando took a deeper look at
> this, and found that a readline macro needs to be set at compile time
> to prevent the space from being inserted.  This is normally set by the
> python configure, which apparently apple does not use
>
>    define_macros=[('HAVE_RL_COMPLETION_APPEND_CHARACTER', None)],

Again, Apple did not do anything.  readline is *not part of OS X*, so
it can't possibly be their fault.

This problem would be the fault of whomever built the extension, out of
tree... in this case, either Jack or me, depending on where you got it
from.

Unfortunately I won't get around to fixing this for a while, but the
Python 2.4.1 distribution <http://undefined.org/python/#python> I built
comes with a readline extension built at the same time as Python, so it
should work fine.