[Pythonmac-SIG] solution for matplotlib compile problems

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Wed Sep 29 21:50:03 CEST 2004

    Adam> Hi, I have been trying to get the latest version of
    Adam> matplotlib to install (OS 10.3.5). the first attempt looked
    Adam> promising and then crashed after a few minutes.  I
    Adam> downloaded this file you linked to and all I get is.

You shouldn't do this.  That file (written by me) was for an earlier
version of matplotlib and the latest release includes those changes.

    Adam> $ python setup.py install Traceback (most recent call last):
    Adam> File "setup.py", line 52, in ?  from setupext import
    Adam> build_agg, build_gtkagg, build_tkagg, \ ImportError: cannot
    Adam> import name build_transforms

    Adam> is this similar to the errors you were having?  any help
    Adam> would be great.  thanks in advance -an

No this is unrelated to Kenneth's earlier problems, which were related
to not being able to find tkinter properly.

Your build tree is out of whack since you are using the wrong
setup.py.

Make sure you read the install instructions at
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/installing.html including the OSX
specific stuff, then get the latest tarball (0.63.0), rm -rf any old
matplotlib packages you have a round, and trying anew.  Post any build
errors you get and I'll help you sort them out.  Typically, only the
first error message or two conveys any useful information.

JDH