[Pythonmac-SIG] FBAs with bundlebuilder?

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Tue Sep 14 00:11:16 CEST 2004

Ronald and Jacob,

Thanks for the speedy reply. I'll have something to show very
shortly. For now you have to define your own MiniApplication subclass
and use method calls to register callback functions as AE handlers:

	suite.command(callback, 'core', 'setd', 'set', "Set an object's data.",
		None,
		('----', 'direct', 'The object for the command.', 'obj '),
		('data', 'to', 'The new value.', '****')
		)

which works fine, but treating this information as function metadata
and using introspection to discover these functions automatically
(c.f. unittest) certainly has some semantic appeal. But I'll need to
experiment a bit more to be sure what works best (I swear at times
like these I hear Lisp faintly chuckling...).

The AppleScriptable-FBA idea's come from work I'm doing on
implementing Apple Event Object Model support for Python-based
application developers, but that's a much larger, longer-term project
and I think this is something that will stand well enough by itself,
so main aim is to make it easy to use (declarative rather than
imperative, hide event loops and Application classes and other stuff
that ASers don't need to know about, trade flexibility for
simplicity, etc). I figure we can target this primarily at ASers and
worry about Python developer-oriented APIs in the full-blown aeom
package.

If anyone's any thoughts, please fire away. Also, if anyone fancies
writing some functions for a working example, let me know; I'm off to
sound out the AS community now and see what kinds of functionality
they're currently desperately in need of.

Cheers,

has

p.s. Jacob - would be interested to see what you've written if you
want to show us.
--
http://freespace.virgin.net/hamish.sanderson/