[Pythonmac-SIG] Python Postgresql support?

Tony McDonald tony.mcdonald at ncl.ac.uk
Mon Sep 13 12:05:00 CEST 2004

Not a general response, this is really focussing on pyscopg.

psycopg is, shall we say, not the easiest module to compile up...

I had to do this to make it all happen... (a bash shell)

[544][tonymcd at eagle : Thu Aug 26 10:05]  ~/python/psycopg-1.1.15
% LIBS='-lcrypto -lssl' ./configure
--with-postgres-includes=/usr/local/pgsql/include
--with-postgres-libraries=/usr/local/pgsql/lib
--with-mxdatetime-includes=../egenix-mx-base-2.0.4/mx/DateTime/
mxDateTime/
checking for python... /usr/bin/python
checking python version... 2.3
checking python installation prefix...
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3
checking python installation exec_prefix...
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3
checking definitions in Python library makefile... done
checking location of python library...
$(prefix)/lib/python2.3/site-packages
checking location of python shared modules...
$(exec_prefix)/lib/python2.3/site-packages
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for inline... inline
checking PostgreSQL version... 7.4
checking PostgreSQL type catalog...
/usr/local/pgsql/include/catalog/pg_type.h
checking for mxDateTime.h... yes
checking for main in -lcrypt... no
checking for main in -lcrypto... yes
checking for PQconnectStart in -lpq... yes
checking for PQfreeNotify in -lpq... yes
checking for asprintf... yes
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Setup
config.status: creating config.h
config.status: creating Makefile.pre
config.status: executing default commands
creating Makefile

'make' then did the good stuff and I can now use postgres on my mac
from python

hth
tone

On 1 Sep 2004, at 04:36, Jerry LeVan wrote:

> Is it possible to build the python postgresql support library
> on Mac OSX 10.3.5 with the default python install?

So I guess the answer is no, as you need to d/l postgres (I got mine
from http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/) and the egenix packages.

> Adding "--with-python" gets an error message about libpython
> not being a shared library when attempting to build postgresql.
> (pg 7.4.5)
>
> Thanks for any pointers.
>
> Jerry

Dr Tony McDonald, Asst Director, FMSC. 0191 246 4543
School of Medical Education Development
Project Manager, FDTL-4 ePortfolios http://www.eportfolios.ac.uk/