[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app and PyQt

Kevin Walzer sw at wordtech-software.com
Fri Oct 29 05:38:20 CEST 2004

Well, I rebuilt Qt and PyQt, plus all the supporting libraries, because
another app I was running from the command line and in an applet bundle
was crashing also. Now the applet bundle ("save as applet" plus all
other app files copied into the app bundle) runs fine, but I still get
an error message when I try to build the same stuff into a standalone
bundle.

Are there any architectural differences between save as applet and save
as standalone bundle? I thought the main thing was that the applet only
saved a single script. Throwing all the other modules from the app is a
hack, I know. I'm asking because the internals of py2app are as
mysterious to me as bundlebuilder. Understanding a little about the
architecture might allow me to go through save as applet, trial and
error, and debug it that way, because clearly it's able to see the PyQt
stuff when it's running as a supporting library on the system, but
somehow that gets lost when the Qt libaries are copied into the
standalone bundle. (Or maybe they aren't? I'll look at that as well...)

Kevin

Bob Ippolito wrote:

| On Oct 27, 2004, at 15:43, Kevin Walzer wrote:
|
|> Bob Ippolito wrote:
|>
|> | On Oct 27, 2004, at 15:26, Kevin Walzer wrote:
|> |
|> from
|> |
|> |
|> | Neither am I.  You didn't give enough information for me to even guess.
|> |
|> What other information would be helpful?
|

| Most helpful is complete instructions on how to reproduce it (how to get
| and install PyQt, this app, its dependencies, the setup.py used).
| Otherwise, useful things include but are not limited to: a copy of the
| broken .app, a full traceback, a list of files in the bundle, any crash
| reporter errors, otool -L output on any extensions and libraries in the
| bundle, etc.
|
| -bob

- --
Kevin Walzer, PhD
WordTech Software--Open Source Applications and Packages for OS X
http://www.wordtech-software.com
http://www.smallbizmac.com
http://www.kevin-walzer.com
mailto:sw at wordtech-software.com