[Pythonmac-SIG] python 2.3.4 on Mac OS X 10.3.6 is working - upgraded standard installation

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue Nov 30 17:13:47 CET 2004

On Nov 30, 2004, at 4:04 AM, Robert Valsjö wrote:

> I have one question though. I've read your info about patching the
> python 2.3.4 source Makefile, but since I'm not a c-programmer, can
> you please tell me what to do after I downloaded the python 2.3.4
> source and untared it?

Python installs its own compile time Makefile so that third party
extensions can be compiled with the same options.  The Makefile
patching I have described is a patch intended to be done to this
*installed* Makefile, NOT to the Python source code.  If you want to
patch the Python sources, you would ideally it do it configure.in, run
autoconf, and then send a patch to http://sf.net/projects/python/ :)

Anyway, to see where the Makefile is located, do:

python -c "import sys,os; print os.path.join(sys.prefix, 'lib',
'python2.3', 'config', 'Makefile')"

Once you know where this Makefile is, open it up with your favorite
text editor (probably using sudo).
Navigate to approximately line 98 and replace the two configuration
variables LDSHARED and BLDSHARED with the following:

LDSHARED=   env MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.3 $(CC) $(LDFLAGS) -bundle
-undefined dynamic_lookup
BLDSHARED=  env MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.3 $(CC) $(LDFLAGS) -bundle
-undefined dynamic_lookup

Save the file.