[Pythonmac-SIG] What system/software do you use for source control?

Kenneth McDonald kenneth.m.mcdonald at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 19 22:34:25 EDT 2004

This isn't quite a Python question, except to the extent that I want to
put my Python source under some form of source code control and
perhaps make some of it public, but it is definitely a Mac-related
question. It's one of those questions that doesn't properly fit into
any mailing list, so my apologies for posting it here.

I've more or less settled on Subversion for the actual source code
control system (but if people thought other things might be better
for Python, I'd be interested in hearing about it.) However, my
system is a laptop, and I'd like to have a "stable" server also,
i.e. one others can rely on being connected. However, I do _not_
want to be maintaining another kind of system, meaning that
I either want OS X on a Mac, or darwin on a PC.

I'd be curious as to what people think of the possibilities.
The problem with a Mac is that it is relatively expensive for a
system that doesn't need to do much (even if I buy used). The
problem with a PC is that to get it cheap, I'd need to put it
together myself, and I don't want to do that.

It'd be nice if there were a cheap, darwin-running self-contained
minibox for about $300.

Actually, what I really want is a 2-CPU system where one of the
CPUs is in a laptop that detaches, and the two halves can
function separately. Ah well, dream on...

Cheers,
Ken