[Pythonmac-SIG] another bundlebuilder question

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed May 19 11:08:46 EDT 2004

On May 19, 2004, at 7:29 AM, thor wrote:

> I am new to Python and so far I am really impressed, however
> a bit confused sometimes about where to search for information
> and API for the functionality and interfaces of classes.
>
> Anyway, I've built a little test application which uses pygame for
> the graphics and I want to make an app out of it.
>
> I modified this to control the buindlebuilder (from an example):
>
> ========================
> ### makeapplication.py
> from bundlebuilder import buildapp
>
> buildapp(
>     name='myApp.app',     # what to build
>     mainprogram='main.py',      # your app's main()
>     argv_emulation=1,           # drag&dropped filenames show up in
> sys.argv
>     iconfile='myIcon.icns',      # file containing your app's icons
>     standalone=1,               # make this app self contained.
>     includeModules= ['pygame', 'random', 'time', 'OpenGL', 'os'],
>     includePackages=[],         # list of additional Packages to force
> in
>     libs=[],                             # list of shared libs or
> Frameworks to include
> )
>
> ### end of makeapplication.py
> ====================
>

> But the results I get are always these:
>

> mac$ python makeapplication.py --standalone --strip build
>
> Finding module dependencies
> Building 'build/myApp.app'
> Copying files
> Adding Python modules
> Stripping binaries
> Warning: couldn't find the following submodules:
>     (Note that these could be false alarms -- it's not always
>     possible to distinguish between "from package import submodule"
>     and "from package import name")
>   ? AppKit.NSApp
>   ? AppKit.NSApplication
>   ? AppKit.NSCriticalRequest
>   ? AppKit.NSImage
>   ? AppKit.NSMenu
>   ? AppKit.NSMenuItem
>   ? AppKit.NSTerminateLater
>   ? Foundation.NSDictionary
>   ? Foundation.NSLog
>   ? Foundation.NSObject
>   ? objc.selector
>   ? objc.setClassExtender
>   ? objc.setSignatureForSelector
> Warning: couldn't find the following modules:
>   ? os.path
>   ? protocols
> Done.
>

> So why does bundlebuilder not find the AppKit (it is there when
> you try this: "import AppKit" in the python window.
>
> And what is the issue with os? There is a file called os in my
> library, but not os.path (and I thought os.path would be part of
> that file, right?)
>
> Could somebody tell me what is happening here?
> Am I doing something wrong or is my system not updated enough
> to use the bundlebuilder?
>
> (I am using OS X 10.3, having installed MacPython, pygame, pyOpenGL,
> wxPython, etc. I just installed the system and haven't really modified
> anything, so it should be pretty clean).

Those are completely spurious warnings that don't really mean anything.
  Modulefinder is stupid.

There is an example in pygame CVS:
pygame/examples/macosx/aliens_app_example that shows how to use
bundlebuilder2 to make a standalone bundle.  Your example isn't
actually standalone.  You can get bundlebuilder2 by installing:
http://undefined.org/python/macholib-v2.0a0.tgz